Greensboro Urban Ministry (GUM) seeks an innovative, mission-focused, storyteller to serve as its Communications Manager. This full-time position reports directly to the Development Director and is a vital member of the Development Team. The Communications Manager is responsible for building a community of active and engaged supporters through creative, intentional strategies that leverage multi-media channels and yields increased awareness, engagement, and funding to support the mission of GUM.
GUM was founded in the basement of Grace United Methodist Church in 1967, after a group of downtown congregations came together to better help those in need in Greensboro. The agency’s first program was emergency assistance to divert families from losing housing. Over the years, the agency has added and expanded programs to respond to the effects of poverty on the community. GUM’s mission is to express the love of God to our neighbors in need by offering food, shelter and solutions. The vision is stable lives for our neighbors.
The Communications Manager will be a highly motivated, creative individual with a passion for sharing the mission of GUM. Duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop and drive a communication plan that seeks to increase awareness and build engagement.
- Work with the Development Director to develop a comprehensive campaign strategy to execution the annual appeal mailings, emails, and social media reinforcement.
- Promote the organization and its programs across various media outlets including television, radio, print, and social media
- Manage the development and distribution of all print communications including newsletters, banners, posters, promotion, and marketing collateral.
- Build and support the marketing strategy for organization and fundraising events.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage media relationships to ensure coverage of GUM programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects. Respond to media requests, exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and assist with preparing talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Manage all social media efforts: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc. Explore and develop new ways to leverage social media communications to drive engagement.
- Manage website and ensure the accuracy, consistency and timeliness of material.
- Build an ambassador program utilizing volunteers to share the mission of GUM and drive awareness via public speaking, outreach events, and online support.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Communications Manager must be committed to the mission, vision and values of GUM, and bring their high energy, positive attitude to grow the brand and reach of the GUM community. In addition, he or she should possess the following:
- A proven track record with 3 – 5 years of combined marketing, digital media and communications experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college/university.
- Strong working knowledge and understanding of traditional and evolving communication platforms with a demonstrated ability to leverage these platforms to engage a community of volunteer and financial supporters.
- Equipped with the gift of inspiring others through effective written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to prioritize daily and ongoing tasks from an organizational and individual prospective; highly organized, team player.
- Professional demeanour with an ability to connect with individuals from all walks of life.
Armstrong McGuire & Associates, based in Raleigh, NC, is conducting this search in partnership with Greensboro Urban Ministry. To apply, upload a cover letter, resume, references, and salary requirements to ArmstrongMcGuire.com/apply. In case of any technical problems, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email.